Saturday, December 22, 2012

Jesus - Pure in Heart

Saturday: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

I’m so glad I can’t see the future – I wouldn't be able to live in the present. If I knew in detail what tragedy was coming for the rest of my life, I would continually fixate on it.

That’s was Jesus had to face. He had a crystal clear understanding of his own betrayal and death.

He knew about his death: “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”

He knew about his betrayal: So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor. As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.

He knew about being abandoned: Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

Knowing all of this, Jesus continues on with his mission. He’s not “letting his heart be troubled”. He tells his followers to do the same: Don’t let fear pollute your heart – keep it pure.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”


Don’t let your hearts be troubled, you have seen God.



God, my heart is often polluted with all kinds of things, including fear and doubt. The more I keep those things out, the more I focus on you. When live is difficult, having You as the focal point has brought me the most comfort and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.