Friday, December 14, 2012

Empathy of A Stone

C.S. Lewis: “I see people, as they approach me, trying to make up their minds whether they'll 'say something about it' or not. I hate if they do, and if they don't.” ― A Grief Observed

Again, Lewis captures exactly how I feel right now.

     I hate it when people ask me how I’m doing. 


     I hate it when they give me words of encouragement. 
 
     I hate it when they say nothing and avoid the whole issue. 

I hate being in the middle of this mess. Every interaction, or lack of interaction, is painful. People tell me they don’t know what to say – I don’t either. Being around me is hard work, and I can’t express how much I appreciate it and need you all to be there.

Unfortunately, I have rarely reached out to anyone, except close friends. For the most part, I don’t notice people’s pain. I've had the empathy of a stone. The post I did on Monday speaks to this.

      I have not been that guy who calls to follow-up.

      I have not been the thoughtful person with the note.

      I have been the impatient guy who secretly wishes you would just get over it.

      I have been the one who ignores the whole thing.

I want to be different. This is what I want to be, written by Paul: I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Jesus said: Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.




This morning my wife and I went with my son Nathan to the Dougy Center. This is their mission: to provide support in a safe place where children, teens, young adults and their families grieving a death can share their experiences.

They exist to show mercy. What a great reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.