Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Noah - Meekness

Noah endured unceasing rain for 40 days, and was on the boat for 150 days. During that time, he was powerless to do anything but wait and trust God would take care of him.
But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded. Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky. The water receded steadily from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down, and on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat. The waters continued to recede until the tenth month, and on the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.
Noah was meek and powerless - and he literally ended up inheriting the earth.

I think Noah was in a time of testing. It seems to be that period where God says "I will be unseen and you will wait for me, and obey me. I will see how you come through." In some stories, people fail, in other stories they succeed - and I think Noah succeeded here.

Now I think about it, Noah is almost the exact opposite of Jonah, at least up to this point. Same overall pattern in the stories, very different hearts in these two men.

I have a lot of trouble with waiting to see what God is going to do. I hate waiting for "the water to recede." Being powerless to have any effect is very difficult for me to accept. I really think I'm at that stage in my life right now.

God, I hope I do well with this test. I know whether I do or I don't, you will be there to teach me more about who I am, and what I'm made of.


Wednesdays | Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.