Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Noah - Mourning

This one is fairly obvious - everyone was killed except Noah and his family.
The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits. Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.
Genocide.

God exterminated the vast majority of the human race at the time.

I can't even imagine how Noah and his family felt. Everything and everyone gone. Parents, siblings, friends, everybody died that day.

I wonder how God felt? It's even harder to fathom.

Why did God create a race that for the most part he was going to kill off? Only the DNA of a few people made it through to make us who we are today.

I don't know the answers to any of this. I do know that this story fits the pattern of the beatitudes really well. I did a post a while ago that has some of my thinking on it.

God, help me to understand you, and learn from what I read in your word. I don't really get this story, but I trust you are a good God.


Tuesdays | Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.