Friday, February 1, 2013

Noah - Hunger for Righteousness

Before the flood, God told Noah that he was the only righteous man on earth.
The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation
I have been trying to think of the mixed feelings he probably had as he built the ark, watched everything get washed away, and came back out on to solid ground. I going to assume that through all of this, he wanted to see good.

I think all along he was hungry for God and a better world - and as the beatitude goes, he was filled.
Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
So before the flood, people only ate plants. After, God allowed people to eat animals as well - as he said, he gave them everything. They were full.

As I said in the last post, this whole story is hard for me to understand clearly. I already have a list of over a dozen "whys?" from this. A few are:

Why did God make people, just to kill off most of them in the flood?

Why did he kill the animals too?

Why did he have the whole ark and flood thing - why not just a simple plague?

Why where people vegetarians before, but could eat meat after?

I don't have good answers for any of these. But my faith doesn't hinge on having all the answers. It hinges on what God has shown me through his word and in my life. With lots of unanswered questions, I am still full.


Thursdays | Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.