Saturday, January 12, 2013

Jonah - Mercy

God used Jonah as the vehicle for his mercy, and Jonah hated it:

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.
But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. He prayed to the Lord, “Isn't this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”

Jonah was so angry about God forgiving these people, that he went back to wanting to die. As I stated in and earlier post, his grudge and hate ran so deep, he could not accept God's mercy toward them.

At this point, there is some irony in the story. Everybody has changed except Jonah.
The men on the ship turned to God.
The king and people of Nineveh turned to God, and their animals too.
God turned from his anger and forgave them.

Only Jonah is stuck and won't turn. His anger and sense of justice won't let him, understanding that the Ninevites were a very brutal and cruel people (see this link for info).

God, I don't want to be stuck - and I know I often am. I have made my decisions about who I will reach out to, and who deserves your forgiveness. I know in my head that no one really deserves your mercy, and that it's your love that's the driving force for good. In my heart, I often think that I deserve it and others don't.

God, thank you for your mercy towards me. Help me to be merciful toward others.


Fridays | Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.