Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jonah - Peacemaker

The story of Jonah runs out, and he never changes his heart to be a peacemaker. So I will make a few interesting (at least to me) observations I had over the week.

God's plans don't always work the way he wants. I say this from my limited perspective - no disrespect to God intended. He wanted Jonah to change, but that didn't happen.

The idea that God won't use me unless I'm willing is false. He forced Jonah to do the job, as an absolutely unwilling participant. He is God, I am not.

Jonah had a change of heart while he was in the fish, but it didn't last. I don't even know if I would call it a "change of heart". I think the parable Jesus gave explains it well:

“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 
When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 
The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 
The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 
But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

I think Jonah was someone with "no root" on this issue. I wonder if God's small demonstration to him about the plant having its root eaten away had some deeper meaning in it. I also like the parallel between this parable and the idea that the "word of God" came to Jonah and he had a lot of trouble with it, so he fell away from what he said inside the fish.

So at the end of this week, I'm amazed at how God put so much together to try to get to the heart of this man. Throughout the drama of the story, God is persistent in trying to get Jonah to change and grow.

Did Jonah get it? No.
Did God give up? No.

God thank you for being with me, even when I don't get it and my roots are shallow. Thank you for your persistence in making peace.


Sundays | Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.