Friday, January 25, 2013

Miracles - Mercy

The fifth miracle John wrote about Jesus walking on the water, which corresponds to the fifth beatitude recorded by Matthew:
When evening came (after feeding the 5000), Jesus's disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 
When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.
The disciples were involved in the miracle of feeding people earlier in the day. Jesus specifically made them a part of the process of showing mercy. Then he sends them out across the lake as it was getting dark - then he walks on the water out to them.

It looks like a set-up to me.

The disciples are in the dark and on stormy water, and I'm guessing in trouble. Jesus shows them he has full control over the very thing threatening them. He has the power to be merciful.

I often doubt God has enough control over the world to actually deliver mercy to me. This is something I will continue to work on changing.



A little note of caution before you read further: I'm pretty sure I'm not going nuts, and I'm going to go a bit longer than normal on this post...

Last week on Friday, I wrote about wishing I could extend my thoughts of kindness to Caleb (link). Last night I had a dream about him, the first since he died. The dream consisted of me seeing him, talking with him, hugging him, and then it ended. I don't even remember exactly what I said, but it was kind and he smiled that great smile.

What does this mean? I don't know.

Was it from God? I don't know. He knows I had it, that's all I can say.

Am I happy I had it? Yes. It gave me a good feeling - in my dream I acted as I hoped I would.

This is the best I can come up with: I have committed myself to a weekly cycle in my interactions with God. I have seen it play itself out on a number occasions, this being one of them. Last Friday I came to the decision in my heart that I would pursue kindness, and this small confirmation came to me this Friday, by God's mercy.

Is this going to become a big milestone for me? No. I don't want to talk about my dream, I want to talk about God and his goodness.

Here are some things I see in the word about this:

This weekly routine is what I think God wants for me. I have no direction for anyone else. Paul wrote: One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord.

I will not get wrapped up in dreams. In the Torah: Do not practice divination or seek omens.

God, thank you for being merciful to me. Help me to show mercy.


Fridays | Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.