Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jonah - Hungry for Righteousness

After submitting to God, Jonah went to Nineveh and told them that disaster was coming:

Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”

They responded immediately:

When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. This is the proclamation he issued in Nineveh:

Do not let people or animals, herds or flocks, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. But let people and animals be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”

Why did a powerful city of over 100,000 people listen to some foreign guy that probably looked horrible and stank like fish vomit? I don't know. I guess God was already working on them.

The main thing is that they knew what to do: become hungry and thirsty for righteousness. They took aggressive action to immediately clean up their lives in hopes of pleasing God and avoiding destruction.

God, I wonder what aggressive action you want me to take in my life?

Like these people did, I will call on you. I will give up my violence towards others - my grudges, my judgement, my unforgiveness, my disdain for people.



Thursdays | Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.