Sunday, January 20, 2013

God's Blessing and Peace

This is a follow-up to my post on Friday about kindness.

I have been thinking about how I will daily tell my family how much they mean to me. I will try to deal with them as if today is all I have. After consideration, that's not enough.

I'm not their God.

They need his blessing, forgiveness and unconditional love - even more than mine. But for reasons I don't fully understand, he wants me to speak for him. I think it's for both their benefit and mine...
The Lord said to Moses, “Tell Aaron and his sons, ‘This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”’
“So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.”
I want to daily put God's name on my family, I want him to bless them, and I want him to give them peace. This sounds good, but I think this is going to be hard work.

From the writer of the book of Hebrews:
Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.
Why is speaking a sacrifice? What am I giving up?

For me, it's the same reason praying out loud every day is way more difficult than thinking it in my head. Something about speaking introduces a whole different reality. Putting God in the right position is hard for me to do a lot of the time.

God, help me to bless my family. Give them peace.


Sundays | Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.