Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Revelation - Letter Two

This letter is filled with talk about death.

The second Beatitude: Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted

The second letter in Revelation:
To the angel of the church in Smyrna write:

These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again. I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich! I know about the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you,and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who is victorious will not be hurt at all by the second death.
This letter is fascinating. There are no warnings about what they need to change - only encouragement to hang in there and survive the coming pain. Only comfort, no correction.

Jesus starts out the letter by saying that he has power over death, yet he doesn't stop the pain, suffering and mortality that's to come. He lets the testing go on for the "ten days" - the needed time period. I'm guessing it's so we can see what we are really made of and grow from it.

With my daily thoughts of the loss of one of my kids, death is truly a test. It's a test of everything I believe in, my strength, my sanity. I often have to remind myself I'm going to make it. It's pure misery.

I have been and will be hurt again by the "first death". Who knows? I may have to go though all this loss and testing again in my life - I hope not. But I will not be hurt by the second death - the final death of everything here. He will give me life.


Tuesdays | My relationships are in chaos, and God wants to change them
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
- Your kingdom come


1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 23, 2013

    It's hard to remember that not all that is unpleasant is punishment. God's way of reckoning benefit vs. discomfort is still so far from my own. And yes, I know it's my perception that needs to change. Be it ever so slowly
    SF

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment.