Monday, January 21, 2013

Miracles - Poor in Spirit

The book of John has seven miracles listed in it. While reading through them a couple of years ago, I realized that they matched the seven beatitudes recorded in the book of Matthew. This was the beginning of my understanding that God works in the same pattern over and over in the Bible.

The first miracle is Jesus changing water into wine:
On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

“Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine.He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
There a number of interesting things going on here, but I'm going to focus on the people Jesus helped out.

  • They ran out of wine. Why?
  • They invited too many guests. Why?
  • They wanted to look richer than they actually were. Why?
  • They were "poor in spirit" - and they over extended themselves.

So Jesus shows up and not only bails these people out of an embarrassing situation, he makes them look look even richer than people already thought. They didn't ask him to - he took the signal from his mom and blessed these people.

I think within God's kingdom, I'm richer than I can imagine. I'm not limited by money or success or anything. I know God shows up and takes care of me, even when I don't ask.

I'm also poor in spirit - I can see myself in this story. I exaggerate the truth to make things look bigger than they are. I'm often not satisfied with the reality I have, so I have to make it better and more interesting. I really want people to think I'm "richer" than I am - thinking that it will make my life better. God, forgive me.


Mondays | Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God.