Sunday, November 15, 2015

Quoting Jesus

Starting November 2015, I will start quoting Jesus in my FB journal. This shouldn't be a big deal, but I think it is. 

Jesus is a difficult person to deal with. 

He's both compelling and repelling at the same time. 

I guess God should be that way. I want to get near him, as he's the source of everything. I want to stay away from him, as what he asks of us is really challenging, even frightening.

After Israel saw God speak to Moses, giving the ten commandments, they didn't want to get near him:
They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.” 
Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.” 
The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.
I don't see myself as any different. I can easily quote authors like Lewis, Chesterton, Keller. Moses, David, Peter and even Paul don't pose anything that makes me so uncomfortable as Jesus. It's easy to keep him as a concept, not a person with words.

So I'll spend a while in the "thick darkness".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.