Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Revelation - Letter Three

This letter is about power and influence.

The third Beatitude: Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

The third letter in Revelation:
To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: 
These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword. I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, not even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives.

Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality. Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.
This letter is to people who are living in the seat of evil power, and they are still remaining faithful. Even under threat, they hang in there.

Jesus warns some among them to stop using what influence they do have to do harm - or he will come do harm to them. Speech is a weapon - for good or for bad.

I get this image of a group of people: some of them bearing up under oppression - looking to God for significance; some who try to have power over others, even in a small way, to feel significant.

The theme of words as a weapon is throughout the bible...

From the book of Hebrews: For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 

From the book of Hebrews: Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

From King David: Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from the plots of evildoers. They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim cruel words like deadly arrows. They shoot from ambush at the innocent; they shoot suddenly, without fear.

So God asks me to choose the path of meekness. Not matter what others may do to me, it stays with me. I need to absorb it, stay true to me beliefs, and never take it out on anyone else. 

God, forgive me - as much as I don't want to - when I'm under pressure, I sometimes take things out on others. Help me to keep silent.


Wednesdays | My influence is in chaos, and God wants to set things right
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth
- Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven


1 comment:

  1. Silence is SO hard! (Maybe that's just me.) I can only remember one time when I was silent when I needed to be and I'm sure it was God shutting my mouth just as He did to the lions in Daniel's den.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment.