Monday, May 27, 2013

Romans 12 - Monday

Paul wrote a really long letter to the Christians in Rome. I think his intent was to describe the entire Christian faith as a whole:

    - What is it?
    - How does it work?
    - What are the implications?

For me, chapter 12 is the turning point. Paul shifts from presenting concepts to explaining the implications of following Jesus.
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Here is what I think he's saying:

   - God gave up his rights and chose to be merciful to me
   - In the same way I need to give up my rights and be like him - merciful to others
   - The world (the culture) doesn't support this - it will teach the opposite
   - Look to God, his word, his people for input
   - If I do this, I will be doing what God wants

God want's me to be more and more like him as time goes on. The antithesis of this is focusing on my self.

I was created to be fully focused on others.
I spend most of my time focusing on myself - "Incurvatus in se"

Jesus said: For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.

I think he is saying, "Be what you were meant to be - look outwards and not inwards and really live."


On Memorial Day, what do I do? I think of those who gave themselves for me and for others. Even without all of this from the bible, I intuitively know that these people deserve my admiration. They are the best humanity has to offer.

Army 1st Lt. Erik. S. McCrae

25, of Portland, Oregon.
McCrae died in Baghdad, Iraq, when individuals using improvised explosive devices and rocket-propelled grenades attacked his convoy. He was assigned to the Army National Guard's 2nd Battalion, 162nd Infantry, Cottage Grove, Oregon. Died on June 4, 2004.

He worked for me before going to Iraq. He was a good man. I will see him in the next life.


Mondays | My heart is in chaos, and God wants to change it
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God
- Our Father in heaven, your name is holy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.