Thursday, May 2, 2013

Nature of Jesus - Thursday

As I'm writing this, I realize that the title "Nature of Jesus" is really in error. I don't know his true nature. I only know a small sliver of what I can understand from the bible and my experience. He created everything and holds it together. I'm only something he created.

Here is what I understand...

God created a people to be a light to the whole world, so that all might possibly connect with him. 

That people - the Jews - were abused by all the other powerful people on earth.

God promised to send a rescuer to them, to set them free. They called that rescuer "Messiah".

They waited and predicted and talked about the rescuer. They wanted things to be set right.

They were hungry for the Messiah - and he finally came.

John wrote: The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus came in a way that was unexpected and with a message of acceptance, which many people didn't like. They wanted judgement, he offered forgiveness. They wanted revenge, he offered peace. Most rejected him.

To those who accepted him, Paul wrote: Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

I think Paul is saying to be very careful not to get pulled into judgement, which is a very real possibility - at least it is for me. He is reminding them (and me) that God will fill them and use them for good in the way he works - with acceptance, forgiveness and peace.

God, you didn't come to judge people. I need your help to not do it myself.


Thursdays | My heart is hungry for good, and God will fill it
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled
- Give us today our daily bread


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.