Thursday, May 2, 2013

Nature of Jesus - Tuesday

As I said yesterday, Jesus gave up his status to be with mankind for a period of time. He came to the people he created, and for the most part, they rejected him.

John wrote: The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 

Paul wrote to the Philippians: Jesus made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. Being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death even death on a cross!

Did Jesus know that people would reject him? Yes.

700 years earlier, Isaiah wrote on the same theme. This is what he predicted about God's servant who would come to us: He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

So God's kingdom came to earth in the form of a person who was misunderstood, rejected and ultimately killed.

What does this have to do with me? I'm a believer - I'm glad he came.

My relationship with God is often in chaos. I want to relate to God and be close - and I also want to get away from him and be in my own darkness.

There is part of me that wants him to go away, to leave me be. There are those moments where I don't care that he gave up everything to reach out to me, that he died for me, that he lives for me now.

As Paul wrote to the Romans: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.


Tuesdays | My relationships are in chaos, and God wants to change them
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
- Your kingdom come


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.