Monday, November 26, 2012

Where am I God?

Job - a person who God said was good in everything he did - gets everything taken away: health, family, possessions, position. After sitting silent for a week, Job starts to talk about his pain. He comes to the point where he basically asks "God, where are you? I can't find you."

Job said: But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.

After a lot of discussion between Job and his friends, God finally speaks out of a storm.

He said: Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone— while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

After Job had lost everything and suffered so much, why does God start out by essentially yelling at him? I think its matter of Job's attitude. God is saying "I have always been in the right where I belong, where are you?" 

This goes back to the first "where are you?" in the Bible.

In the garden of Eden, Adam and Eve fail, then they go into hiding. God comes near to them as asks, "Where are you?" I think the implication is clear.

So today, on a Monday, when I consider: Blessed are the poor in spirit,  for theirs is the kingdom of heaven, I need to ask "God, where am I? Help me find the right place to be." No matter what has happened to me, God is solid and not moving, and I need to get my bearings from him.

God is not just an angry, demanding deity. He does want me to "get it", but He's also there for me, wanting to help. Jesus said: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.