Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Fall - Tuesday

The second test:
The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.
Jesus said in the second Beatitude: Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted

I think Satan is saying to her: God will not separate himself from you over this. There will be no mourning if you eat the fruit.

It's easy for me to get wrapped up the small details of stories in the Bible, maybe too much. That being said, here are two things I think are really interesting:
  • Where is the tree of life in all of this? Eve say's "the tree in the middle of the garden". There are two trees. I get a picture of her being so obsessed with the one thing she can't have, that she has totally overlooked the free offer of the fruit of life. 
  • Eve says "we must not touch it". I have read how this was a mistake by adding to what God said. I guess if I start amending God's instructions, there will be no end to it.
This is not a "primitive" story. This is a story every parent today tries to teach their kids as they grow up: Don't get blinded to what you have right in front of you, by what you're obsessed over. Don't make the choices that lead to pain - don't investigate evil.

This is a story that applies to my life everyday.


Tuesdays | My relationships are in chaos, and God wants to change them
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
- Your kingdom come


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.