Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Fall - Thursday

God's first question and their answer:
Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
Adam and Eve went from "owning" almost everything in the garden to feeling exposed and hiding the bushes. They went from being full to being empty.

In the fourth Beatitude, Jesus said: Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Adam and Eve had a hunger for evil, and they believed it would give them more than they already had. I have to admit I'm right there, often believing the lie. Evil only took the good things away.

God asks them "Where are you?"

This has become one of the most significant questions in my spiritual life. I've discovered it's not my place to ask God "Where are you?", it's my place ask God, "Where am I? You are exactly where you belong."

Adam answers that he is now afraid of God and is hiding. His faith has been broken. It isn't that he no longer "believes in God", it's that he no longer willing to approach him.

God, I'm often in the wrong place. I'm often unwilling to approach you. I'm often feel empty.

God, you've shown me you are right here with me. You are approachable. You want the best for me.


Thursdays | My heart is hungry for good, and God will fill it
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled
- Give us today our daily bread


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.