Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Fall - Saturday

God's third question and their answer:
Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
I think Eve's response is slightly better than Adam's. She isn't blaming someone she has a relationship with - Adam or God - I think she is talking about being defeated.

Jesus said in the sixth Beatitude: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God

One of the interesting things about this story is that it doesn't give a whole lot of detail. I see it as very sophisticated in the message, but it leaves a lot of room for speculation. I end up writing "I think" a lot...

I think she is saying she did not have the capacity to resist the temptation - that she couldn't overpower Satan. A point of note: the temptation of Jesus was a "rerun" of this one (same pattern), but he did not fail.

It's an interesting idea to substitute Jesus responses to his temptation for Eve's in this story:
Satan said to Eve: “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” You should be able to eat anything you want.
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” What God says is more important than food.

Satan said to Eve: “You will not certainly die." God wouldn't follow through on his threat if you disobey.
Jesus answered Satan, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” Believe what God says, don't test Him.

Satan said to Eve: “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” You will be God's equal. 
Jesus said to Satan, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’” I am not His equal. I worship and obey Him.
Why weren't Adam and Eve able to stand up to this test like Jesus did? I don't know. I don't think its just about saying the right (magic) words. It's about being fully dedicated to God's agenda, not my own.

God, help me to withstand temptation. Help me to be driven by your agenda, not my own.


Saturdays | My influence is good, and God will expand it
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God
- And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.