Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Prayer

Prayer is a hard thing for me to define. There is not much to reading about it, hearing about it, or even thinking about it. All that really seems to matter is doing it.

As  I was talking with God last week, I had a moment of crystal clarity: It's not about getting what I want, or even what I need. It's not about seeing God work. It's not about my growth. It's about others. Intellectually I've known this for a long time, but somehow in that instant, it made it to my heart. 

Jesus said: Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

What does this cryptic statement mean? I think Paul, in his anguish, captured it: For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people.

Would I be willing to endure an eternity without God for the sake of my wife, kids, friends? Would I make that bargain? Do I have that much love for them above myself? I'd be dishonest if I said I wasn't struggling with the answers.

So all this praying is not so much about asking for things or telling God my views. It's about others and understanding how I can do good for them. It's also digging into the depths of my self-interest and ego.

God, help me to be able to say "yes" - that I would be willing to endure whatever is needed for the good of those around me.



Tuesdays | My relationships are in chaos, and God wants to change them
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
- Your kingdom come


1 comment:

  1. My morning prayers tend to be more focused on the things I am hoping to accomplish short term and long term, temporal and spiritual. My evening prayers tend to be more focused on gratitude and recognizing answered prayers. The night prayer is just a critical as the morning prayer because often times prayers are answered all around me and I fail to acknowledge them.

    I just heard a quote... "Prayer helps us align our will with His own."

    So many times I ask... what should I do? how should I do it? and He often answers me, "Put Me First." I am learning that instead of asking should I go left or right, that I need to ask questions more along the lines of how does this decision effect my family, will this decision bring me closer to Him, how will this decision effect me spiritually and eternally.

    Safe travels!!! Love you : )

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment.