Friday, April 5, 2013

Encouragement

Beyond the question of "Do I have courage?" is an even more important one: "How can I help build courage in others?" I'm discovering that ultimately, all the important questions regarding Christianity are not inwardly focused, but outward.

What has given me the most encouragement? People listening to me, wanting to understand me. This comes from someone who is naturally a terrible listener.

When people have given me advice or input, it's only been encouraging when it's come out of listening first. To be clear, I appreciate all the effort people have put out for me, whether it's built me up or not. I'm humbled by the good intentions of others. I writing about this in an effort to understand how I can do my best.

David wrote: You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry - then God takes action to defend people in need.

This is what I will strive for: to listen, to understand - and then take action to help.

All these things: listening, understanding, kindness, compassion, patience are not my strengths, as I have posted earlier. They are like a tools in my hands I'm not familiar with - I'm clumsy with then and prone to use them poorly. I have to work with them, learn about them, practice using them.

I like what's written in the book of Hebrews: God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized. 

God, help me to listen. Help me to be diligent in turning away from myself so I can understand and encourage others.


Fridays | My relationships are good, and God will build them up
- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy
- And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.