Monday, March 18, 2013

Isaiah - Poor in Spirit

Isaiah finds himself standing in God's temple. It doesn't say how he got there - I'm assuming it's a vision:
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”

At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips.

I think this is the natural and appropriate response if a person is confronted with God himself. God is not someone to have a pleasant conversation with. He is the Lord of everything and terrifying.

The first statement of the Lord's prayer: Isaiah sees a holy God in heaven.
The first statement of the Beatitudes: Isaiah immediately sees he is "poor in spirit" and says "I am ruined."

Tim Keller talks about meeting someone who is way better than you are at something your very good at - it makes you feel small and inadequate. So much more with God, who is all powerful. I am sure I would cry out something in the spirit of "woe is me!"

Why does Isaiah say "I'm a man of unclean lips?" I think it's because he was a prophet. His job was to speak for God. He was hit right where it hurts - his identity.

So I look at myself and I see so many years of saying harsh, inappropriate and unhelpful things. I  have a big problem with exaggeration. Sometimes I lie. All this, while on Sunday mornings I praise God - go figure...

Jesus said: A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

God, what is in my heart? Forgive me for what I've said:
- Harsh words - I'm controlling at times
- Exaggeration - I'm insecure at times
- Lies - I'm afraid at times

God, I want to say and write things that are good. I want a good heart.


Mondays | My heart is in chaos, and God wants to change it
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God
- Our Father in heaven, your name is holy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.