Saturday, March 16, 2013

Strength

My last post was on my weakness, and God telling me how that was going to fit into my life. To keep things in perspective, I'm considering where I can gain strength.

One of my favorite authors over the years has been A.W. Tozer: The Holy Scriptures tell us what we could never learn any other way: they tell us what we are, who we are, how we got here, why we are here, and what we are required to do while we remain here.

There are all kinds of opinions on the bible - it's origins, authenticity, applicability - none of those matter to me. 

In that book, I find strength
In that book, I find life
In that book, I find God himself

The more I read it, the more I'm compelled to read it. It's like that knothole in the fence between me and eternity - Right now, I can't go over there, but I can peek through and see just a bit of it.

It's the only thing I read that really makes sense to me as I struggle with my own grief and questions about life.

King David wrote something that really resonates with me at present:
When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.


Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.
God, you are my strength forever. Keep me from loosing heart.



Saturdays | Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.