Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Comfort?

I'm not the best guy at comforting others. In fact, I'm really not good at it at all. Today, I tried my best.

A guy I'm working with here in Holland was late coming in to the office today. He told me that he was with his wife in the hospital - she is going to die fairly soon from cancer.

I told him I knew something about death, but I couldn't really know what he was going through with his wife. He said he had heard what had happened to my son.

I told him it sucks, and that I was sorry.

I told him that we both had entered new worlds that are hard to navigate, and there is no way out.

I asked him if he had kids. He said he has four, all in their early twenties. I told him much of my worry was about my kids and how they are doing.

I asked him how he was handling it and how his wife was doing. He said they had come to accept what was happening and were working hard to talk about it and support each other. He said his wife was starting to write things down. I told him I was doing that as well.

He told me quite a bit about what he was going through, and he wanted to know how I was doing as well.

I had nothing upbeat or positive to offer. It didn't seem appropriate.

I did tell him he would survive. Like me, he has no choice - people depend on him. That was my big moment of encouragement.

I wonder how I did at giving him some small bit of comfort. My goal was to treat him as I have wanted to be treated, with honesty and genuine interest. I guess I will see how it goes.

God, take care of him, his wife and his family. Give them comfort in the midst of tragedy.

As I started to write this, I thought "Oh yeah, it's Tuesday..."



Tuesdays | Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.