Monday, February 18, 2013

One Thousand Sermons

Why is pain such an effective teacher?

Why does it take tragedy and loss to get me to really grow and change?

Why can't I easily learn those critical lessons in my life without misery?

In the terms Jesus used: Why does a seed (me) have to fall to the ground and die to gain fruitfulness?

Lately I have asked a few people if they were better because of past tragedy in their lives - they all said yes. There are others that I have not needed to ask, it was obvious. I have to admit, I think it stinks.

I wish I could learn the big lessons from praying, reading the word, listening to teaching, discussing things with friends. Unfortunately, loosing one of my sons has taught me what a thousand sermons, lessons and discussions could not. At this point, I would much rather be ignorant and have him here - but there is no going backward.

I don't have any robust answers as to why there is so much pain, poverty and suffering in the world. I only know that for good or bad, pain is an effective teacher in my life. I also know I will do my best to avoid further pain - I don't like it.

It's a difficult but consistent message...
In Hebrews: No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Moses wrote: Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.

David wrote: Blessed is the one you discipline, Lord, the one you teach from your law.

Jeremiah wrote: Discipline me, Lord, but only in due measure— not in your anger, or you will reduce me to nothing.

In Revelation, Jesus said: Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
God, I wish I could learn all I needed to without pain. Unfortunately, I can't.

Help me to learn it all and waste nothing.


Mondays | Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.