Monday, November 25, 2013

The Shema - Monday

I have been reading through Deuteronomy the past few weeks. Chapter 6 has one of the most quoted passages in the Bible. It’s referred to as the Shema – Hebrew for “Listen”
Listen, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord is one.  
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 
These commands that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  
Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
It speaks of who God is, how we should love him, and how we should fill our lives with what he tells us.

For today, I’m focusing on “Listen, O Israel”

God says, “Listen to me.”

God is willing to talk with us – he is not far off, silent or non-existent. He is near and wants to talk with us. When God communicated with Israel in this passage, they are in the wilderness - they were being punished for earlier foolishness. It doesn't matter, he still wants to talk with them.

The essence of the Gospel – the good news from God – is that he reaches out to us, initiates with us, want to communicate with us, based on his love, not our performance.

When I’m being really honest with myself, I acknowledge that there are things I do well, but there are so many areas where I fall incredibly short. I often ask God why he doesn't just write me off – he’s got to have better options.

Does he want me to do well? Yes, of course. Does he require it to connect with me? No, I can never be good enough.

God, thanks for reaching out to me based on your love, not my performance.


Mondays | God is great – I’m in chaos

- Our Father in heaven, your name is holy

- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.