Saturday, October 19, 2013

Self-righteous Idiot

I had a couple of conversations in the past week that really bothered me. Thinking about them still makes me upset.

They both went the same way…

I met with a friends of mine who are not religious, Christian, whatever. I had intended to focus on them: How I could build them up and encourage them? How could I “bless” them?

They didn't respond as I had hoped. Instead, they insisted on listening and encouraging me - and I found myself wanting to be encouraged. I really appreciated their goodness towards me.

As I thought about it later on I got irritated with myself, and I realized that I’m a self-righteous Christian idiot at times. I think I have more to offer them than they have to offer me. If I’m brutally honest, I think I’m morally superior because I’m a believer – that in some subtle way I’m a better person.

I am not.

This huge hindrance to being the kind of person I want to be: someone who truly values what everyone has to offer.

The truth: God puts all sorts of people – all made in his image – in my life for all kinds of reasons. Being a Christian is not about being better than others - it’s about knowing that I am not, and seeing I need God.

This being “intentional” about my faith, while a great practice if my heart is right, can easily become a disaster if it’s not.

I can’t escape it – I’m the Pharisee in this teaching by Jesus:
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’  
“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

God, help me.


Saturdays | God desires obedience – I want to be obedient

- And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one

- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.