Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Possible and impossible

The other day I was talking to God about all sorts of things, and I believe I heard him say, "You take care of the possible, I will take care of the impossible."

I have two things I often struggle with: Focusing on things that I know I can't change, and not doing the good things I know I can do. I waste tons of energy on the impossible, and pass right by the possible.

So I have decided to purse the possible to the best of my ability. To be kind, love, encourage, give - do good where I can. I hope to actually see the needs around me and act on them. 

I think my assumptions about God have been way far off the mark. No matter what common sense tells me, I still go back to the false idea that God needs me somehow to take action. He is immeasurably far out in front of me on anything that is good. He wants me to follow him, do good where I can, and grow from it. 

Paul wrote this to the Philippians:
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
I think he's saying, "Don't worry, instead let God know your concerns about the things you can't change - the impossible. You focus on doing good things, and God will be with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.